A New Beginning

Hello, anyone there? Lol
It has been a while hasn’t it? Life just gets in the way sometimes. I have been trying to write this for 6 weeks!

Don and I took a very sudden but major decision to move away from Derbyshire and the High Peak to the lovely hills & valleys of North Yorkshire to be closer to our daughter Claire and her little family. It does mean that we are further from our son Gareth but not too much that we can’t drive there and back in a day if need be. Fortunately, they have a spare room now so we can actually stay longer (and they can pamper us for a change!)

Preparing to move was a real nightmare for us. We were in a four bed, three storey house and moving into a two bed, single storey bungalow so you can imagine ‘the stuff’ we had. After 43 years of marriage and twenty years in the same house we had managed to collect an incredible amount of ‘stuff’. Plus, we only had 6 weeks to do it. That’s okay for young, healthy people which we are not. Between us Don and I would not add up to one healthy old person lol. Anyway, it took us all of those 6 weeks and we still weren’t completely ready.

The hardest part was of course my craft room. I had so much ‘stuff’ or stash according who was telling it. So, it was a case of give it away, sell it, recycle, throw it out (argh) or keep it. A pile for each and I was brutal. I had to be because it wasn’t all going to fit.

On the day we had two vans and two cars loaded to the brim and the house was still not empty. Gareth, bless his heart went back the next day to finish what he could and still left some pieces behind. It was a relief to know that no-one was moving in and the house would be sold.

I never thought I would convince Don to move but I did. He finally realised that we needed help. I was very worried that I would be dragging Don away from his beloved Buxton FC and all of the friends he has but things have worked out well for him.

Leaving my friends wasn’t so easy. I knew it would be hard but not as painful as it has turned out to be. I haven’t had ‘real’ friends in my life as I am content in my own company – mostly. These ladies are special. To reach 64 years of age and realise that you do have wonderful, kind, funny and caring friends is almost a miracle to me. A miracle I have left behind. I will try to keep in contact and thanks to Jo Rice and her blog I know what they are crafting.

The house – A 19th century terrace in the heart of Buxton Town – is in need of a desperate makeover. I hated that house for twenty years! but, it was somewhere to live. I don’t and won’t miss it or Buxton and I have no really good memories of our time there.

Yorkshire – a beautiful little bungalow on a farm just ten minutes from Knaresborough. We have been blessed with wonderful landlords and fabulous neighbours – sheep, cows and Patrick, the horse in the field we overlook from the front garden.
Every morning you wake up to the birdsong and the rabbits and hares coming out to play. It is so restful and heart-warming.

There are also some red kites nesting nearby and we can sit with a glass (or two) and watch them soar over the trees and fields.

I have my birdfeeders out too and so many different birds come to visit (as well as the farms chickens lol). Greenfinches, bluetits, blackbirds, dunnocks and of course, robins.
I still have boxes of craft stash to unpack but that’s okay, it will take time and we are busy enjoying this beautiful summer with our grandchildren. I haven’t done any crafting yet, but I have a few projects to finish plus a few ideas for our new home.

I still have those days when I am unwell but mostly I am content.

Thank you for stopping by. Take care






No comments:

Post a Comment